Sunday, November 12, 2006

CAREGIVERS

Being a caregiver to my Mom is probably the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. They say that because our parents take care of us for many years, we owe them the same care when they grow old. I understand this reasoning but, as a parent of three boys ,and grandparent of five, I feel that it's not the same scenario to raise a child as it is to care for a parent. Perhaps, it's the gratification one receives , as a parent , that makes that job more rewarding. Caring for a parent, on the other hand, offers little in the way of "thank-you's" and rewards. It's just plain hard work. My Mom lives 5 blocks away and is totally dependant on me for her basic needs. I shop, order medicine, pick up medicine, take her to all appointments, empty her garbage, care for her pet, do all of her paperwork, pay her bills and balance her checkbook. I take her on outings and try to visit 5 out of 7 days a week. She has no friends in the community, refuses to make any, and my brother, who lives 100 miles away, has seen her about 6 times in 3 years. Mom refuses to visit him because she doesn't get along with his wife. My health is deteriorating because of stress and basic overload, and I'm still feeling guilty that I don't do enough for Mom to make her life happier. (Although, deep down, I know this isn't rational thinking, on my part.)
Caught in this dilemma that has no good solutions, I would like to offer anyone out there who needs to "vent" about there own caregiving situation, an opportunity to COMMENT as much as you might like. Our only hope is support and a good hobby! I would be happy to offer my support to anyone in need.
By the way, I have two cousins in very similar situations. There are a lot of us out there.

No comments: